Coq10 Benefits: Energize Your Heart and Brain at the Same Time
Coq10 Benefits: The Wonder Compound that Energizes Your Heart, Brain, and Circulation all at the Same Time
February is National Heart Month – and this ultra-powerful antioxidant is one of the most important nutrients you can take if you want to support your heart, arteries, blood pressure and circulation. And if you are among the millions of Americans who take statins, this nutrient is virtually lifesaving.
There’s an important nutrient your body needs to maintain your heart, keep your energy level up, and support your brain. It’s a powerful antioxidant called Coenzyme Q10—or CoQ10 for short. What are the CoQ10 benefits?
CoQ10 is the “spark plug” that ignites energy production in every cell, muscle, and organ in your body. Your heart, your brain, and every other part of your body need the constant, steady energy CoQ10 provides.
Your heart contains more CoQ10 than any other organ in your body. In fact, CoQ10 contributes 95% of the cellular ATP production to your heart muscle.
CoQ10 is produced naturally in your body; you normally get only a tiny fraction of the CoQ10 your body needs through diet. Your natural CoQ10 levels peak when you’re in your 20s. However, your body makes less and less CoQ10 as you age. At age 70, for example, you have 60% less CoQ10 when you did at 20. As your levels of CoQ10 plummet, so does your health and energy.
Over 1,000 medical studies confirm the powerful benefits of Coenzyme Q10 for…
- Your brain: CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant with 50 times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. This is especially crucial, because free radical damage in the brain affects memory and overall brain health. In one study, seniors taking 100mg of CoQ10 not only increased their blood levels of CoQ10 by 400%, but also experienced better vitality and mental health.
- Your blood pressure: Several clinical studies show that CoQ10 can support healthier blood pressure. One study showed that volunteers taking CoQ10 experienced improvement in blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar health.
- Your energy levels: CoQ10 helps the mitochondria in your cells produce ATP, which is essential for fueling cellular function. Research shows that supplementing with CoQ10 can help improve overall energy and memory health.
- Your immune system: CoQ10 fires up the activity of macrophages and T-cells so your body can more effectively resist infection. It also boosts immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody levels—so you stay healthier.
- Your circulation: Research suggests that CoQ10 can help enhance blood flow, protect blood vessels and promote healthy heart function.
- Your blood sugar: CoQ10 may help with blood glucose control. One Australian study found that CoQ10 had significant positive benefits for supporting healthy blood sugar levels.
That’s why supplementing with CoQ10 is a great idea no matter how old you are or what your state of health. But CoQ10 supplements are even more important if you are taking any cholesterol lowering drugs. Statin drugs stop the formation of a necessary molecule for producing cholesterol. Unfortunately, this is the exact same molecule your body needs to produce CoQ10.
 Shoko D. et al, 2008